Re: User setup for emacs

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: Re: User setup for emacs
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 15:00:50 -0300

Hi Tolugboji,

the Emacs Wiki has some pages about init files:

  https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/InitFile
  https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryDotEmacs

My ~/.emacs is totally atypical but it is here:

  http://angg.twu.net/.emacs
  http://angg.twu.net/.emacs.html

I set custom-file to another file - ~/.emacs.custom - because I don't
understand customize well and I used to feel very scared everytime
that customize changed something in my ~/.emacs without showing me
what it was doing. The part of my ~/.emacs that sets this is:

  (setq custom-file "~/.emacs.custom")
  (load custom-file)

It is at:

  http://angg.twu.net/.emacs.html#.emacs.custom

Have you tried rcirc? Its manual is here,

  (info "(rcirc)Top")
  https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/rcirc/index.html

and here is a link that explains IRC in more detail:

  http://www.irchelp.org/faq/new2irc.html

You just need to run M-x rcirc, and then once you're connected you can
issue commands like "/nick tolug" and "/join #emacs".

  Cheers,
    Eduardo Ochs
    http://angg.twu.net/#eev