RE: [External] : Re: User setup for emacs

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: User setup for emacs
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 18:31:10 +0000

> I set custom-file to another file - ~/.emacs.custom - because I don't
> understand customize well and I used to feel very scared everytime
> that customize changed something in my ~/.emacs without showing me
> what it was doing. The part of my ~/.emacs that sets this is:
>
>   (setq custom-file "~/.emacs.custom")
>   (load custom-file)

IMHO, everyone should define `custom-file', and
thus keep Customize's maintenance of the code
it generates away from the code you write in
your init file.  To me, this is common sense.

But I was unable to get Emacs to even recommend
using `custom-file', let alone programmatically
encourage (not quite enforce) its use.