Re: Proper way to add bindings under C-x 8

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Proper way to add bindings under C-x 8
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 17:49:22 +0100

<michael_heerdegen@web.de> said:

    >> I think youʼre right. Using the global map works fine if you use the
    >> syntax
    >>
    >> [?♠?️]
    >>
    >> (where thereʼs a literal U+FE0F after that second "?")
    >>
    >> but with the iso-transl-ctl-x-8-map it always inserts only the last
    >> element of that vector.
    >>
    >> Robert

    Howard> Thanks for the help.

    Howard> So could this be considered a bug in iso-transl-define-keys?

Possibly. I was hoping Eli would jump in and tell me :-)

All the uses of key-translation-map that I can find map a sequence to
a character, but your mapping is to multiple characters. That works
fine with normal keymaps, but not with key-translation-map, and Iʼve
not found documentation telling me thatʼs wrong (nor that itʼs right).

    Howard> I mean I'd like to be able to enter these both via C-x 8 e
    Howard> and A-e and while not documented I was previously told to
    Howard> read the source of iso-transl-define-keys.

    Howard> I could make my own keymap or transient for the emoji's I
    Howard> commonly use, but it really would be nice to integrate it
    Howard> with Emacs' builtin way for entering non-ascii unicode
    Howard> characters so I don't have to keep track of two different
    Howard> mechanisms.

    Howard> Or maybe Lars' Emacs 28 emoji stuff could be released as a
    Howard> package that could be used with Emacs 28?

Lars has said he's planning to do that. Iʼm growing quite fond of it 😁😼

Robert