Dired command on same host

From: Manuel Giraud
Subject: Dired command on same host
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 11:24:49 +0100

Hi,

I'm happily using dired and tramp with `dired-dwim-target' set to t. So
when I'm in this frame configuration:

+-------------+-------------+
|             |             |
| some dired  | other dired |
| on host A   | on host A   |
|             |             |
|             |             |
|             |             |
|             |             |

I can, for example, copy some files from one directory to another. But
when I do this, tramp copy the file over ssh to my local /tmp before
copying it back to the other directory. It can be a problem when the
file is too big. Is it possible for tramp to detect that this is the
same host and just make a simple cp on host A?

Same question for two different hosts: Is it possible to make tramp do a
scp from host A to host B directly?
--
Manuel Giraud