Re: Running Emacs in an MSYS2 shell (or terminal?)

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: Running Emacs in an MSYS2 shell (or terminal?)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 19:31:22 +0100

Hi Dieter,

"H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

> This is working for "emacs.exe -nw".  In fact, out of the box, it works
> even better than "winpty emacs.exe -nw", where keyboard shortcuts like
> "C-x C-c" aren't working for me!

Glad to hear that.  For me, even mouse works and I can choose items in
the menu bar with it (well, I could if I wanted to and don't need F10).

> Unfortunately, for the more important use case, "emacsclient.exe -nw
> test.txt", or the like, a new frame - outside of the "defterm" window -
> is always opening up.

I'm not sure if I understand your expectation here.  For me, I can do
"emacs -nw" in a shell, open a .tex file, compile it with synctex
activated (C-c C-c), start a Win32 viewer (in my case SumatraPDF) from
Emacs (With AUCTeX, it is with C-c C-v), double-click a text position in
the viewer and Emacs jumps to that position.  The config in the viewer
is:

Z:\path\to\emacs\bin\emacsclientw.exe -n --alternate-editor="" +%l "%f"

My understanding is that emacsclientw connects to the server it finds.

What is the use-case you have in mind?

P.S. I probably should change that config to

Z:\path\to\emacs\bin\emacsclientw.exe -n --alternate-editor=runemacs +%l "%f"

which is more convenient.

Best, Arash