Re: Running Emacs in an MSYS2 shell (or terminal?)

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Running Emacs in an MSYS2 shell (or terminal?)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 19:36:23 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>
>> Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 17:55:32 +0100
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>>
>> Unfortunately, for the more important use case, "emacsclient.exe -nw
>> test.txt", or the like, a new frame - outside of the "defterm" window -
>> is always opening up.
>
> It is not clear to me what did you expect to happen with emacsclient
> invocation with the -nw switch.  Emacs on MS-Windows cannot create a
> new console window, nor can it "attach" to an existing console
> window.  Moreover, it cannot have both TTY and GUI frames in the same
> session.

I'm sorry for the ambiguity.  I wanted to emualate emacsclient -nw under
Gnu-Linux, namely, to operate it in a text console (TTY?) when Emacs is
running as a GUI application.

> With these limitations, does anything look out of order in the
> behavior that you see?

No, I just didn't know these limitations of Windows, only the
capabilites under Linux.  In fact, since this year I can do so much more
with Emacs (and MSYS2) under Windows than I previously expected! :-)

Compiling Emacs (Magit)
Compling LaTeX documents
PDF-tools is working
Running R with graphics output
Spellchecking with Hunspell
Encrypting .authinfo
Running Gnus
Using Tramp to connect to Linux servers

You helped me with most parts, thank you very much.

    Dieter