isearch-repeat-forward not compatible with delete-selection-mode

From: R. Diez
Subject: isearch-repeat-forward not compatible with delete-selection-mode
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 08:46:16 +0100

Hi all:

I am using cua-mode, which includes delete-selection-mode.

When I repeat an incremental search with isearch-repeat-forward, Emacs
highlights all matches around in blue, and the current match in magenta.

Normally, if I type (or paste) some text, the currently-selected text is
replaced. This is what I am used to when using other text editors. However,
isearch's highlighting of the current match is apparently not what is
considered to be the 'selection'.

That is bugging me, because I am used to quickly search the next match with F3,
and then typing o pasting something to replace the current match. I know that I
can automate text replacing, but I often want to manually check each match
before replacing it.

Is there a way to tell isearch-repeat-forward and isearch-repeat-backward to
set the selection to the current match?

Failing that, I could wrap isearch-repeat-forward and isearch-repeat-backward
with my own Lisp routines in order to set the current selection whenever the
next/previous match is found (if any). Could somebody help me with such a
routine?

My Lisp skills are somewhat limited. But if you give me some pointers, I could
probably find my way out with some trial and error.

Thanks in advance,
  rdiez