Re: info-emacs-manual?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: info-emacs-manual?
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2022 09:09:59 +0200

> From: Leo Butler <leo.butler@umanitoba.ca>
> Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 09:43:54 -0600
>
> After an
> apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
> a few weeks ago, I have found the emacs manual is missing for the top
> info directory. That is,
>
> C-h i d m emacs RET
>
> doesn't send me to the emacs manual (I get a completion list,
> instead). And, sure enough, Emacs is missing from the menu.
>
> However
>
> M-x info-emacs-manual RET
>
> sends me to the manual.
>
> Is this expected behaviour?

It is the expected behavior if your /usr/share/info/DIR file doesn't
mention the Emacs manual.  Which probably means no one run the
'install-info' command when the Emacs manuals were installed on your
system.  "M-x info-emacs-manual" loads the Emacs Info manual directly,
bypassing the DIR menu, so it does work as soon as the manual is
available on your system.

Bottom line, you should investigate what is the source of the DIR file
and how it is updated when you install manuals.