Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on eve

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on every platform?
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 11:38:35 +0800

emacsq via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

>> Indeed, GTK is cross-platform and available for Linux and other
>> systems as well.

> Right, so would it be advantageous for emacs to use the same code for
> graphic UI on every OS, or is there something which emacs can
> currently do by accessing the native APIs directly which cannot be
> done via GTK?

It isn't available on Haiku and doesn't work very well on MS-Windows,
macOS, and even GNU/Linux.

For example, it crashes during a display disconnect, fights with Emacs
over the size of frames, it cannot utilize selections when connected to
multiple displays, correctly position frames on X, warp the mouse
pointer, and so on and so forth.

The only use for GTK is to support window systems that we don't
otherwise support, such as Wayland and Broadway.  Otherwise, using that
window system directly will almost certainly lead to a better user
experience.