Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on eve

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on every platform?
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 18:53:45 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> GTK uses some techniques that make Emacs's life very difficult.  This
> is not about assigning blame, nor about fairness, this is just the
> facts of life.

Please, how is essence of that different from what I said? Gtk chooses to do
things that does not fit Emacs, i.e, Gtk is not designed to be used the way that
fits Emacs, or with other Words, Emacs use-case does not fit Gtk design.

I opposed to the rhetorics of Po who is blaming it on Gtk bugs and devs having
their own ideas on input, or what he wrote I don't remember, instead of simply
saying that Gtk does not fit Emacs needs. I have tried to say why Gtk and Emacs
does not fit well, instead of leaving the original poster wondering how come
that Gtk was so rough around the edges after more than 20 years of development,
as Po has painted it.

>                 So please understand us when we very much hope a
> toolkit emerges that is more "friendly" to Emacs than GTK.

I think you are missunderstanding me here. I am not arguing for Gtk to become
one and only toolkit in Emacs. I am definitely not the one that favours Gtk as
such for Emacs. I was ranting about Gtk tooltips once, considering that Emacs is
completely capable of rendering tooltips on its own, no idea if you remember. If
you ask me, I would be very happy with Emacs doing its own menus and toolbars,
but that is not gonna happen.