Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on eve

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on every platform?
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 19:34:27 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:
>
>> Why designing an API means reverting changes? I dont' think designing
>> an API is reverting it back to old API.
>
> Because the API we need is precisely the one that was deleted.  On
> purpose.

They have obviously had reasons to delete it. That the "design" part :).

And as the quoted (and linked) answer from Bassi shows, they are not against the
API, they want better one. So it would be more constructive to help them desing
a new API in accordance to the new GTK design, than complaning and being grumpy
about the old API. They obviously won't put back the old API, they wouldn't
delete in the first place if that would be the case. There is actually a
chance that you can affect the desing of Gtk so it suites better Emacs needs,
but you are refusing under different excuses.

>> Is there a way to reproduce this bug on a singel machine with one
>> monitor?
>
> Yes: run Xephyr (or Xnest) like this:
>
>   Xephyr :2
>
> Then select File -> New frame on Display Server from the menu bar, enter
> :2, then close the Xephyr window.  Emacs will either abort (on the X and
> GTK build), or simply exit without warning (on the PGTK build.)

Ok, thanks, I'll try with Xephyr and Gtk.