Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on eve

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on every platform?
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 20:34:39 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:
>
>> I think you will have to reflect on what I have said. I have posted an
>> article about why Emacs is not very compatible with Gtk, and probably
>> wouldn't be compatible with Qt either, even if there was a suitable C
>> interface Emacs could use. We can certainly agree to disagree about
>> the article, but you should definitely reflect better over what I
>> wrote and why. I didn't lobbied for Gtk to become the one and only
>> toolkit to use, I just opposed your rhetorics about Gtk bugs, "devs
>> strange ideas" and what not, and the impression you left on the
>> person. I am not trying to be impolite or unrespectful, but I find
>> your arguments and rhetorics often dogmatic.
>
> Your argument can only be convincing if you have spent most of the past
> week dealing with various instances of using GTK interfaces such as
> `gtk_window_set_geometry_hints' according to their documentation, only
> to see them do something completely different.
>
> I have.  And I'm not convinced.
>
>> Sure we can agree on that one. But you used rhetorics that left
>> impression it depends on bugs, and Gtk devs having their own strange
>> ideas about something. Those are different reasons but not being
>> suitable by design. Read my very first replay in this thread, it
>> should have been clear there.
>
> Many of the problems in GTK affecting Emacs are bugs contradicting their
> documented behavior that the GTK developers don't want to fix, since
> they find Emacs not sufficiently important.

I don't see them saying we won't fix this, nor that Emacs is not important, 2315
is still open.

What I also see myself is that for about last ~15 years, it is only Emacs
users that seems to be affected by this bugs.

I have read, just of my own curiosity through entire of those bug
threads:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/issues/221
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/issues/2315

What I see them say, more or less is help us to help you. I won't say it is bug
in Emacs nor will I say it is bug in Gtk, I'll just say leave some reservation
that Emacs could maybe could do something else. You seem to be very knowledgable
about Gtk and Eli says you know what you are doing, have you try to work with
them to solve the problem?

But maybe for Emacs devs this is not important either, in which case we are just
arguing about smoke :).