Re: how to force auto-save of buffers not visiting files, right now?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: how to force auto-save of buffers not visiting files, right now?
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 11:30:18 +0100

On Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 11:19:52AM +0100, hw wrote:

> On Sun, 2022-03-20 at 08:29 +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 07:36:42AM +0100, hw wrote:

[...]

> > > Its value is
> > > (("\\`/[^/]*:\\([^/]*/\\)*\\([^/]*\\)\\'" "/tmp/\\2" t))

[...]

> Yes --- I didn't see that because that expression is so unreadable.

To some it is readable, to some not. It takes some practice.

> Forcing remote auto-save files into being saved into a volatile
> directory is worse than not saving them at all.

Are you always so absolute in your assessments?

> How do I change that /tmp to not being volatile and keep it that way?

Look into the files in /etc/init.d (or, if you are a systemd person,
ask around in your distribution's mailing list: I know very little
about systemd). Typically, there's code there to wipe /tmp clean
on boot. Then, you'll have to make sure /tmp is not mounted from
tmpfs (as is customary these days) but from a regular directory.

> > Careful. You can change that, too, if you want. Someone thought
> > it to be useful.
>
> Like how?

See above. Try

  find /etc/init.d -type f -exec egrep "\<tmp\>" {} +

or ask around if you're on systemd (i guess it'll have one unit
to mount tmpfs on /tmp, perhaps another to clean up /tmp --
unless they rely on always using tmpfs, where the latter would
be unnecessary. But don't believe me on things systemd. Actually
I've no clue :)

> > I'm around for long enough that I remember the
> > time before [...]

> Some things, like making /tmp volatile, are still stupid.

OK, I think I'll stop here. We are off-topic anyway.

Cheers