Re: volatile /tmp [was: how to force auto-save of buffers not visiting f

From: tomas
Subject: Re: volatile /tmp [was: how to force auto-save of buffers not visiting files, right now?]
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 12:13:15 +0100

On Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 11:36:05AM +0100, hw wrote:
> On Sun, 2022-03-20 at 09:05 +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 08:29:55AM +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Note that the convention on Gnu/Linux is to use /var/tmp for things
> > you want to persist across reboots. So perhaps just changing the
> > replacement value might make you happy.
>
> Well, I have set `tramp-auto-save-directory' to a suitable value, so
> it doesn't really matter.
>
> Shouldn't GNU Emacs use this GNU convention of using /var/tmp/ when
> it's all GNU?

That still depends on whether people want auto-saves to persist
reboots. There doesn't seem to be a majority for it, much less a
consensus.

So either change it for yourself (and document what you did, to
help others in your situation) or start convincing people if you
want that to become a more general default :-)

Cheers