Re: Spaces rather than tabs by a major mode hook

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Spaces rather than tabs by a major mode hook
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 11:40:20 +0300

> Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 08:17:53 +0000
> From: goncholden <goncholden@protonmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> You have complicated the customisation tasks compared to all other languages.
>  This tab thing also happens with other languages such as C with multiple
> tabs.

Other languages usually have their own facilities for customizing
indentation.  For example, CC Mode even has an interactive command for
such customization, whereby you make the changes and immediately see
them reflected on display before you even decide the customized value
is good for you.  See the section "interactive Customization" in the
CC Mode's manual.

Different programming languages have different requirements and
conventions regarding indentation, so this has to be customized
separately for each major mode.

> Have not really seen elisp code to do this.  And for each supposedly
> solution, a multitude other problems crop up.  This is just so that I can
> modify some files.  The experience is that customisations and a big effort in
> themselves.  It has not been satisfying for me also, to end up with the huge
> number of customizable variables.

You pass negative judgment on features you didn't even seriously
bother trying to use.  There's no real value for such judgment.  As a
matter of fact, customizing indentation does solve the issues you
raised, and the assertion that "a multitude other problems crop up"
isn't based on any factual findings.  It does diminish the motivation
of trying to help you solve these issues.

> Just seeing things the way they are.

I wish you have.