Re: Editing Java (with LSP)

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Re: Editing Java (with LSP)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 22:32:23 +0200

    AB> Does any of you write Java code?  How is it? Do you have the
    AB> same problems too? If yes, have you found a solution? Do you use
    AB> LSP?

I use lsp-mode relatively successfully to work on a Java project with
~9000 *.java files (https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine).  I find it
easier than using lsp-mode with C because no special compiler
arrangements are needed, it works itself.  I needn’t to use anything
else.  The only special configuration I use is

  (setq lsp-java-vmargs
        '("-noverify" "-Xmx4G" "-XX:+UseG1GC"
          "-XX:+UseStringDeduplication"))

but I can’t recall why it is needed.

>From time to time, I experience similar symptoms like those you
describe.  In such a case, I delete ~/.emacs.d/.cache and
~/.emacs.d/eclipse.jdt.ls.  Then it fetches jdtls, reindexes the project
and starts working fine again.

OTOH, dap-mode works much worse and I cannot use it for Java debugging.
IIRC the most annoying thing was collapsing expanded data structures all
the time, making practically impossible watching what happens with data.
And the overall functionality was limited due to inability to work well
with the given maven definitions.  I use IntelliJ IDEA for debugging,
which works perfectly.

Regards,
Milan