Re: completing-read depricated initial-input

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: completing-read depricated initial-input
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 17:05:16 -0400

I haven't really followed that thread, but IMO the `initial-input` arg
should be changed into `setup-function` (so we don't have to use the
hideous `minibuffer-with-setup-function` hack) and using a string there
should be deprecated (the rare places where inserting an initial string
makes sense can use a setup-function instead).

Also the prompt handling should be changed so that it automatically
inserts the default into the prompt.  Doing that in a reliable and
backward compatible way is not completely straightforward, tho, so maybe
a simpler solution is to introduce a whole new function instead.

Then a user-customization could also be used to choose between the
current default (where the default is added to the prompt) or the other
option of always inserting the default as initial value (pre-selected
so it can be deleted with a quick DEL).

        Stefan