Re: Emacs freezes again when I try to open a file including only one ver

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs freezes again when I try to open a file including only one very long line.
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 19:04:41 +0300

> From: Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de>
> Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 16:36:56 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > > Can one still do useful things in a partially displayed window?
> >
> > Sometimes.  Try C-l and then C-f.  If neither of them pops another
> > warning, you can use commands like C-f and C-b.
>
> But my first reaction was: unselect the window, so that the user can
> notice Emacs is still alive.  And doesn't try to edit the buffer without
> seeing what one is doing.

That could be what you'd like to do in that case, but it doesn't have
to be what everyone will want to do.  Other possibilities include
turning on longlines mode there, or turning on so-long-mode, or
killing the buffer.  And I'm sure there could be other possibilities
that make sense in some cases.

IOW, I'm completely unsure that there's one-fits-all modus operandi
when that happens.