"Attached frame" of speedbar.

From: Vladimir Nikishkin
Subject: "Attached frame" of speedbar.
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 19:36:12 +0800

Hello, everyone.

Can someone tell me, what is the reason to have an "attached frame" of
the speedbar, and whether it is possible to change it in runtime (of
speedbar)?

The reason is that it seems very weird to me to have a helper thing that
is strongly bound to a frame, but is always displayed in a separate
frame.

It would, however, make sense to either have a "floating helper" that
is not frame-bound, and changes its function depending on the currently
focused frame, or, on the other hand, have a similar helper displayed
within the frame to which it is attached.

Now, the second way of working can be achieved with the help of the
sr-sppeedbar package. I would, however, rather prefer the first one,
where speedbar is cooperating with the frame currently focused, and its
display and hiding is done by the Window Manager, not by Emacs itself.

Is there a way to achieve this? I can imagine a `select-frame-hook`, to
which I would add something like `(lambda () (set
speedbar-attached-frame (current-frame)))` , or something like that.

--
Your sincerely,
Vladimir Nikishkin (MiEr, lockywolf)