Re: Bug Loading *.el.gz files into GNU/Linux Emacs.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bug Loading *.el.gz files into GNU/Linux Emacs.
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 14:28:09 +0300

> From: Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 17:03:40 +1200
>
> Somewhere in my explorations of Emacs I managed
> to create a whole new directory tree:
>
> /snap/emacs/1609/usr/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/
>
> When I tried gunzip font-lock.el.gz it said
> the following.
>
> gzip: font-lock.el: Read-only file system

I don't understand why in your case the filesystem cannot be
read-only: AFAIK the way we uncompress files on the fly uses
temporary-file-directory, not the place where the compressed file
lives.

I'd start by looking at the value of temporary-file-directory, and if
that doesn't give any hints, step through the code in jka-compr to see
why it fails to uncompress the file.

Btw, does this happen in "emacs -Q"?  If not, some of your
customizations get in the way.