Re: Changing value for fill-column

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changing value for fill-column
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 18:32:55 +0300

> Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 17:14:25 +0200 (CEST)
> From: wilnerthomas@tutanota.com
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>

> Aug 28, 2022, 15:07 by eliz@gnu.org:
>
> >> But I want to change the value even if buffer has its own value for
> >> fill-column
> >>
> > If you do that in your init file, no buffer will have a local value
> > yet.
> >
> How do these local values get set when users do not perform setq-default in
> their init file?
> Some modes set them up if there is no mode-hook for it already?

Modes don't set these variables; users do.

setq-default sets the default value, and that default value will be in
effect in every new buffer, unless someone -- you -- changes the value
in that buffer.  Since you want the same different value in all
buffers, you will probably not set the value in individual buffers,
and thus the default which you changed with setq-default will stay in
effect.