Re: How to jump with ediff

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to jump with ediff
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 17:42:26 -0400

> IMO that separate Ediff Control Panel frame is an unfortunate default.

Yes, Ediff's UI is a bit problematic in this respect, indeed.

> (setq ediff-window-setup-function #'ediff-setup-windows-plain)

This will probably help Haines, indeed, but comes with its own set of
problems.  I'd much prefer a mode that dispenses completely with
a "control window/frame/buffer". and uses maybe some prefix key or some
modal interface in the main buffers to access the functionality
currently provided by the separate control buffer.

I think `vdiff` (in GNU ELPA) tries to do something like what I propose,
tho I never really tried to use it (I don't use Ediff very often
either, I usually prefer to look at `diff` output instead, in
`diff-mode`, or otherwise merge the different versions into a single
file with `diff3` and then use `smerge-mode`).

        Stefan