Re: define-key upon common-lisp-mode and inferior-lisp-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: define-key upon common-lisp-mode and inferior-lisp-mode
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 14:44:33 +0300

> Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 06:59:01 +0200 (CEST)
> From: wilnerthomas--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> Have encountered "common-lisp-mode" but there does not exist
> "common-lisp-mode-map".
>
> Thusly  (define-key common-lisp-mode-map KEY DEF) fails

Its doc string says:

  In addition to any hooks its parent mode ‘lisp-data-mode’ might have
  run, this mode runs the hook ‘lisp-mode-hook’, as the final or
  penultimate step during initialization.

So this mode inherits the keymap from its parent, lisp-data-mode.

As for binding keys, it is better to use local-define-key, I think.
It will figure out the keymap for you.