Re: [External] : Saving variables for use between emacs sessions

From: uzibalqa
Subject: Re: [External] : Saving variables for use between emacs sessions
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 16:51:30 +0000

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

------- Original Message -------
On Thursday, September 15th, 2022 at 1:26 PM, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl>
wrote:

> > Drew> Lots of ways. Some:
> >
> > Drew> 1. savehist.el
> > Drew> 2. desktop.el
> > Drew> 3. Bookmark+ bookmark variable-list bookmark
> >
> > Drew>
> > https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BookmarkPlus#FunctionSequenceVarlistBookmarks
> >
> > Drew> 4. If it's a user option (defcustom), then in your `custom-file' (or
> > init file).
> >
> > And in emacs-29, `define-multisession-variable', although thatʼs
> > intended more for packages than user config.
>

> Also, the `persist' package.

Right, I want to have a user option, but although I want to allow a user to set
the value,
I also would like to set a value in an automatic way, using a function that
does the
necessary calculations, and stares the answer in the variable.

How does one let a user change a value, and how can I save it automatically as
well?