RE: [External] : Saving variables for use between emacs sessions

From: uzibalqa
Subject: RE: [External] : Saving variables for use between emacs sessions
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 00:56:59 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Thursday, September 15th, 2022 at 5:23 PM, Drew Adams
<drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> > Right, I want to have a user option, but although I want to allow a user
> > to set the value,
> > I also would like to set a value in an automatic way, using a function
> > that does the
> > necessary calculations, and stares the answer in the variable.
> >
> > How does one let a user change a value, and how can I save it
> > automatically as well?
>

> Just define the option with defcustom.
>
> Users can use Customize to change the
> value and save that new setting to their
> `custom-file' or init file. Or they can use` custom*' functions to
> set and to save. Or you can use such
> functions to do that for them "in an
> automatic way".
>
> Just look into what's available - it's
> all there. You, yourself, can easily
> check it out.

I have coded as follows

(defgroup tpframe-pos nil

  "Set position of frame."

  :group 'convenience)

(defcustom tpfxpos 8

  "X position of initial frame."

  :group 'tpframe-pos

  :type 'integer)

(defcustom tpfypos 8

  "Y position of initial frame."

  :group 'tpframe-pos

  :type 'integer)

Then I have a function that changes the values with

(setq tpfxpos nlft) and (setq tpfypos ntop)

The difficulty that that after I run another the command emacs again in from
terminal,
the values updated by the function are not reflected in `M-x customize-group`.