Re: describe all faces at point?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: describe all faces at point?
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 19:05:42 +0300

> From: Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org>
> Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 10:50:41 -0400
>
> When I do `M-x describe-face`, the default face is, according to the doc,
> > "the faces of the character after point"
>
> However, looking at the `*Fancy Diary Entries*` buffer, I see many
> different colors, and `M-x describe-face` offers the `diary-button` as
> the default for _some_ characters that have _different_ colors (and the
> `sample` in the `*Help*` buffer for one of them does _not_ match its
> appearance).
>
> Moreover, `(get-char-property (point) 'face)` returns `diary-button` for
> both of those characters and `(face-at-point nil t)` returns
> `(diary-button)` for them too.
>
> So, how come two characters in the same buffer have different colors but
> the same faces?

The appearance of a character on display in Emacs gets the face
information from more than a single source, see the node "Displaying
Faces" in the ELisp reference manual for the gory details.

If you tell how does one get the "*Fancy Diary Entries*" buffer with
what you see there, I could perhaps give a more concrete answer to
your question.