Re: on ESHELL, utf-8 and fossil command-line commit message

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: on ESHELL, utf-8 and fossil command-line commit message
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 22:18:22 +0300

> Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 16:09:41 -0300
> From:  Wayne Harris via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> > Maybe you have other customizations that cause this.  What does the
> > below say:
> >
> >   M-: default-process-coding-system RET
>
> It says
>
> %(print default-process-coding-system)
> (utf-8-dos . utf-8-unix)
> %
>
> I tried to change it to just cp1252.

> %(setq default-process-coding-system (cons 'cp1252 'cp1252))

Too late, I think.

So I think the problem is that your customizations set up UTF-8
everywhere, and that causes the problems.  My suggestion is to start
from "emacs -Q", and if these commands work there, review your
customizations until you find those which get in the way.

If even "emacs -Q" doesn't work, I suggest to submit a bug report with
all the details.

In general, in core we don't pass arbitrary text via command-line
arguments on MS-Windows; instead, we write text to a temporary file
and ask the program to read text from there -- for this very reason.
Most VCS commands accept -f or -F switch telling them to read the log
message from a file; I suggest to use that instead of fighting the
UTF-8 uphill battle.

> %fs timeline -n 1
> === 2022-10-01 ===
> 19:04:34 [d992644b4b] *CURRENT* Naiveté. (user: mer tags: trunk)
> --- entry limit (1) reached ---

Could it be that 'fs' expects UTF-8?  Is that a native Windows port or
a Cygwin port?  The latter will probably expect UTF-8 on the command
line, and you cannot give it that.