Box cursor at EoL

From: Dr Rainer Woitok
Subject: Box cursor at EoL
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 17:16:44 +0200

Greetings,

being in the process of "converting" from XEmacs to Emacs I currently am
missing XEmacs' habbit  of using a  different cursor shape  for a cursor
sitting on an invisible EoL character  as opposed to a cursor sitting on
an as invisible trailing blank.   I always loved  this feature of XEmacs
because I've always hated unnoticed trailing blanks :-)

Searching the web  up to now I only found references  to using different
cursors for  active/inactive frames  or for different major/minor modes.
Because an EoL character is slimmer than a blank,  I tried setting vari-
able "x-stretch-cursor" to t, but as the "-stretch-" part in the name is
already suggesting, this variable has only effect on wider characters.

So I'm now asking the combined wisdom of this list  whether or not there
is a way to coax Emacs into using a different cursor at EoL.

Any pointers welcome :-)

Sincerely,
  Rainer