Re: Better ways to inspect text properties?

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: Better ways to inspect text properties?
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 16:46:07 -0700

a good question imo!  tangentially, by coincidence i was wanting some
similar things to understand better.

showing the output prettily would be great.  c-u c-x = is just a bit
limited.  some kind of inspector?

what if we could show all text properties in a buffer kind of like visible-mode?

is it possible to diff two buffers completely?  i.e. not only the text
as shown [or folded] but the properties too?

that would allow regression testing of changes that affect only text
properties.  i don't mean displaying colors or so as a bespoke
non-traditional diff but rather the text property differnces as text.

can a buffer with text properties be saved to a file and reloaded
preserving properties?

what about visibility and folding?  could they be preserved like that
also?  my regression testing could be improved.

i also still struggle with visibility and folding and the fucntios for
getting visible-only parts of a buffer, or copying and inserting in
buffers, or looping only visible lines etc.  i keep getting results i
do not expect.  [cannot debug now.]  e.g. i am in magit and it is
partly folded and i want to do various programmatic copy or operate
type operations on visible.

i have not even yet found a good protocol for pp and frineds yet to
insert nicely into buffer at point, when called after a pp expression
with c-x c-=.  even for a paren-containing sexp, not only a string
with text properties.

so idk it is probably just me and not finding documentation that suits
me well for it, but it seems a ripe area.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com