Re: Signing message reply problem

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Signing message reply problem
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 14:38:21 +0100

    Angel> In my .emacs file I add the following hook, so that all messages
will be
    Angel> signed automatically:

    Angel> (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'mml-secure-message-sign-pgpmime)

    Angel> and that works fine for regular messages that I start or when
replying
    Angel> to previously signed, but if the message I reply to is not signed,
then
    Angel> the tag <#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign> is placed in the middle of
    Angel> the message, and the outgoing message is not signed.

That sounds like either a bug or a documenation issue, maybe report it
with M-x report-emacs-bug (you didnʼt mention which version of Emacs
youʼre using)

    Angel> I can certainly sign it no problems if I issue the command C-c C-m
C-s,
    Angel> which then positions the tag again at the beginning of the message,
but
    Angel> obviously I would prefer not to do it by hand, because I will most
    Angel> likely forget.

    Angel> Any advice/ideas?

Untested, but something like:

    (defun angel-message-setup ()
        (save-excursion
           (message-goto-body)
           (mml-secure-message-sign-pgpmime)))

    (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'angel-message-setup)

Robert