Re: Org-Mode compared to Jupyter

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Org-Mode compared to Jupyter
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 12:36:31 +0100

On Fri, Nov 04 2022, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> I wonder how Org-Mode compares to Jupyter (an interactive scientific
> computing framework).

That really depends on what you find important. Org mode can do a lot more than
"just" create interactive notebooks, so you can, for example, add a TODO item
directly in your notebook and have it appear in the list of TODOs in the agenda.

Org mode also has a lot more language backends and you can combine them in a
single notebook. I've occasionally used Elisp, bash and Python together in one
notebook, because some things that are one-liners in bash require more work in
Python, and I know Elisp better than both bash and Python, so some things come
easier to me in it.

You can even connect to Jupyter kernels from Org mode:
https://github.com/nnicandro/emacs-jupyter

So I'd say Org is a lot more powerful, but Jupyter is accessed from a browser
and is therefore more accessible. You don't need to familiarise yourself with
some weird text editor to use it.

But if you're already familiar with said text editor, then the only reason to
use Jupyter that I can think of would be the need to collaborate with others.

Just my €0.02, of course.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments