Re: How to justify a line of text in the GUI?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to justify a line of text in the GUI?
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 14:40:50 +0200

> From: Evan Aad <oddeveneven@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 17:28:24 +0200
>
> When composing a bilingual document that combines a right-to-left
> language, such as Hebrew, with a left-to-right language, such as
> English, is there a way to justify a line of text to the right or to
> the left in the GUI when the text in that line contains no letters of
> the alphabet?
>
> For example, when writing a mathematical text in Hebrew, intended be
> typeset by the TeX system, the following display-mode equation may
> occur:
> $$
> x+y=z
> $$
>
> In this case the Emacs GUI would right-justify the first pair of
> dollar signs, whereas the next two lines would be left-justified. This
> causes a disruption of the logical cohesiveness of the LaTeX code. Is
> there a way that I could left-justify the first pair of dollar signs?

Precede the line you want to left-justify with the U+200E
LEFT-TO-RIGHT MARK (a.k.a. "LRM") character.  It by default displays
as a thin 1-pixel space, and so is almost invisible, and it will cause
the "$$" line be treated as a left-to-right paragraph.

However, I don't know what will this do to TeX output; you should try.
If the LRM gets in the way, perhaps a better solution is to precede
the problematic line with a comment that has some left-to-right
characters in it; that should have the same effect on the paragraph
direction determined by Emacs.