Re: wie kann ich Emacs so einstellen, dass ich drucken kann

From: tomas
Subject: Re: wie kann ich Emacs so einstellen, dass ich drucken kann
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 08:00:15 +0100

On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 03:07:43AM +0100, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:
>
> > And trying to learn a language by translating
> > as you go is hard, and not necessarily helpful.
>
> I don't know if I would do anyone a favor when I would try to translate
> every Emacs specific term (and there are a lot) literally [...]

I think we aren't aware how full of strange buried metaphors our
languages are... until we try. Some travel well, some less so,
depending on the source and target languages.

"May contain nuts or parts of nuts" as an allergy warning on a
candy package I bought once was translated into Spanish by
disambiguating the nut into the bolt-and-nut side of things.

OTOH, "crane" as a lifting device, which is obviously a metaphor
based on the bird's look with its long beak does travel surprisingly
well whithin Western European languages. Up to the historians to
explain why (my hunch is that craftspeople travelled across Western
Europe at the time this device found widespread use, but I'm not a
historian).

"Literal" translation (the term becomes fuzzier and fuzzier
the closer you get) is bound to get tangled in that mess.

Cheers