Compilation mode next error isn't searching all buffers

From: Eric Chun
Subject: Compilation mode next error isn't searching all buffers
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 19:30:33 +0000 (UTC)

I see the following at Compilation Mode (GNU Emacs Manual):"If the current
buffer contains error messages or matches, these commands will iterate through
them; otherwise, Emacs looks for a buffer containing error messages or matches
amongst the windows of the selected frame (if the variable
next-error-find-buffer-function is customized to the value
next-error-buffer-on-selected-frame), then for a buffer used previously by
next-error or previous-error, and finally all other buffers."

This seems to indicate that next-error function should switch to other buffers
if there are no other errors in current buffer, but that doesn't seem to happen.
Here are the steps I followed:* First, I open an org file in Emacs.* I then
create a sparse tree using a regular expression.* I then type M-g M-n to move
to the next occurrence of my search string but it doesn't work.  I get a
message saying "user-error: Moved past last grep hit".* I kill the pre-existing
"*grep*" buffer in Emacs.* I then try M-g M-n again and it works.
Why doesn't next-error function jump to the next occurrence of search string
found in current buffer?  It seems to still be looking for occurrences in the
grep buffer.
I'm using Emacs 28.2 on CentOS7.