Re: Latex superscripts, subscripts and curly braces

From: Hans Lonsdale
Subject: Re: Latex superscripts, subscripts and curly braces
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 00:02:19 +0100 (CET)

The scope is to hove some form of simple structure even on the latex
source code.  This facility already exists and can improved a little bit more.

> >> What do you input then, exactly?
> >
> > For instance, consider
> >
> > {\begin{aligned}
> > \langle \psi _{{jk}},\psi _{{lm}}\rangle
> > &=  \int _{{-\infty }}^{\infty }\psi _{{jk}}(x)\overline {\psi
> > _{{lm}}(x)}dx\\
> > &= \delta _{{jl}}\delta _{{km}}
> > \end{aligned}}
> >
> > I would not like to have the _ and {} showing in the
> > expression \psi_{jk}
>
> It's possible but I don't believe it this whole idea or
> attitude, it is such an uphill battle it is insane, you need
> to let that go or approach it in another way.
>
> > But for industrial applications [...] In industrial
> > applications, equations are customarily very terse with lot
> > of spaces wasted printing _ ^ { }
>
> I don't think there are industrial applications of LaTeX that
> differ in this sense from any one else's applications, sorry.

Not industrial application of latex.  But industrial applications involve more
complicated equation frameworks.  The ability to show some identifying
structure in the source code would be something separate from the final
result.

--
Sent with https://mailfence.com
Secure and private email