Re: Latex superscripts, subscripts and curly braces

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Latex superscripts, subscripts and curly braces
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 15:09:24 +0100

From: Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org>
Sent: Sat Dec 31 21:54:16 CET 2022
To: <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>

Hans Lonsdale wrote:

I am using latex-mode, which is able to shift superscripts
upwards, and subscripts downwards, using a smaller font.
For simple cases the shifting works well.
Are we talking when you edit the source?
Perhaps there can be two levels, one showing _^ {} and a setting to show things
without them.

Hi,

org-mode can do it with (setq org-pretty-entities t) and (setq org-pretty-entities-include-sub-superscripts).

I cannot find any setting to do the same thing with latex buffers, but it should certainly be possible to at least reproduce org's implementation.

For that it's worth, I usually *disable* such things, because they make it very awkward to edit subscripts and superscripts. The effect is that the ^ _ and the braces are hidden, but they can still be input and deleted, and in my experience it's very easy to end up in broken configurations with that.

Instead, I use a proportional font, which makes the braces thin enough to not be annoying. And the scripts are only shifted up or down without changing their size -- that may come from my theme, I can't find anything in my config for that. All together, even long scripts are very easy to visualize and edit.

Best wishes,

Thibaut