Re: Retrieve values of variables in remote files

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Retrieve values of variables in remote files
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 13:20:41 +0100

André A. Gomes <andremegafone@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,

Hi André,

> I expected that running the following on a remote Tramp buffer would
> give me the right value.
>
> (with-connection-local-variables shell-file-name)
> => "/bin/sh"
>
> The right value would be "/data/data/com.termux/files/urs/bin/bash"
> since this is a remote buffer on Termux.

Yes, but you must teach Tramp to know this. Tramp speaks about this in
its manual (info "(tramp) Android shell setup") but you can use that for
any other remote Termux setup.

What is the value of variables connection-local-criteria-alist,
connection-local-profile-alist and connection-local-variables-alist,
evaluated in the respective buffer?

> I'm a bit surprised since xref-matches-in-files uses
> with-connection-local-variables and it always gets the right values.

Btw, which Emacs version / Tramp version are you using?

> Any idea?  Thank you.

Best regards, Michael.