Re: Question about package dependencies from github

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Question about package dependencies from github
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 14:16:47 +0300

* Daniel Fleischer <danflscr@gmail.com> [2023-01-13 14:13]:
> Hi all, I'm developing a package. It depends on several other packages,
> some of them aren't in melpa and/or are my own fork in github with some
> modifications. What is the current convention in terms of introducing
> them in a package?
>
> I'm using quelpa + use-package in the form of:
>
> (use-package X
>    :quelpa (X :fetcher github
>               :repo "daniel/X"))
>
> But even without use-package I can have
>
> (quelpa '(X :fetcher github :repo "daniel/X"))
>
> Maybe something else like el-get? Or maybe just put all the packages in
> the project as git submodules?

How I see it, you should read this:

(info "(elisp) Packaging Basics")

And then use

(require 'other-package-1)
(require 'other-package-2)

and that is all.

You should not make your package download other packages, that is
something you leave to users.

Or as another option:

You are free to mix other people's works in your work, as long as you
comply with free licenses. In that case you do not need to make
dependencies on other people's packages.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman