Re: Cannot start Emacs from Finder on macOS Ventura

From: Eric Swenson
Subject: Re: Cannot start Emacs from Finder on macOS Ventura
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 23:55:49 +0000

On 1/10/23, 10:25 PM, "Daniel Fleischer" <danflscr@gmail.com
<mailto:danflscr@gmail.com>> wrote:

Just wanted to recommend

https://github.com/d12frosted/homebrew-emacs-plus
<https://github.com/d12frosted/homebrew-emacs-plus>

It has 28, 29 and master (30) + support for native compilation which

homebrew Emacs casks don't have at all. It works perfectly, for many

years.

I tried this and I get different strange behavior.  Starting emacs from the
shell generates some warning messages to the shell and brings up the GUI.  When
it is launched, an icon shows up in the Dock (good).  And I click the
Options|Keep in Dock option – as my whole goal here was to be able to start
from the Dock.  When I exit Emacs, the dock icon goes away (despite the “keep
in dock”).  So I still can’t start emacs from the dock;

What gives?

  *   Eric