Re: (*) -> 1

From: tomas
Subject: Re: (*) -> 1
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 16:27:55 +0100

On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 05:42:27PM +0300, Jean Louis wrote:
> * Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> [2023-01-19 16:46]:
> > Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
> >
> > > Aha, the final conclusion is "it is there (*) ➜ 1" and please "don't
> > > talk" or "Gods will get angry".
> >
> > Honestly - this is how you talk to people after we already spent,
> > literally, hours of answering your questions?
>
> Well -- you are free to draw conclusions. We may go through
> encyclopedias and what, though answer to question why is it useful is
> unknown.
>
> When I say "useful" I wish to see that usefulness in Emacs Lisp.
>
> Or maybe if it's origin is in Common Lisp or MacLisp, I wish to
> understand from there.

MACLISP was one of the first LISPs around (way before Emacs, way before
you or me saw a computer). Serve yourself:

  http://www.maclisp.info/

Specifically here:

  http://www.maclisp.info/pitmanual/number.html

More specifically:

  http://www.maclisp.info/pitmanual/number.html#9.18

Those people did it this way... back in the 1970s because that's
the was mathematicians brains work. If they get to design an
n-ary addition or multiplication operator, /this/ is the way
they'd do it.

Emacs Lisp just inherited that. It was in LISP's "way of thinking"
right from the beginning.

Just because you don't like it it's not going to change.

Cheers