Re: Scrolling terminal output in Emacs

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Scrolling terminal output in Emacs
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 15:41:15 +0100

On Mon, Feb 13, 2023 at 09:33:18AM -0500, Galen Boyer wrote:
> I'm sure this has been asked 100 times I'm just not sure how to pinpoint
> the description so I'm not finding the answer.
>
> I just downloaded and set myself up for using Ubuntu on Windows.  I've
> gotten my Emacs/Cygwin workspace on windows mimic'd on Ubuntu with
> Cygwin.
>
> But, when I kick off some commands, such as "git diff XXX" the output
> gives me a page and then the ":".  Is there a way to tell my environment
> I never want pagination?  I want it all to come to the "console".  Of
> course I want that because I can scroll the output with Emacs.

By default, git sends its output trough a pager (when it thinks there is
a terminal at the other end). You can change that by invoking commands
with the option --no-pager or by setting the PAGER environment variable
accordingly (see git's manual page) or by setting some pager.XXX config
variables.

Cheers