Re: Native compilation by default?: Was [Re: stats say SBCL is 78 875 %

From: Madhu
Subject: Re: Native compilation by default?: Was [Re: stats say SBCL is 78 875 % faster than natively compiled Elisp
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 08:38:49 +0530

* Eli Zaretskii <83k00btcsl.fsf @gnu.org> :
Wrote on Tue, 21 Feb 2023 14:37:14 +0200:
>> From: Madhu <enometh@meer.net>
>> Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 12:34:21 +0530

>> Is my understanding of the documentation - that native compilation is
>> an automatic side effect of byte compiling, wrong?
>
> Yes, it's wrong.  Native compilation happens automatically when you
> _load_ a .elc file, not when you compile it.

The info manual I was looking at (info "(elisp) Native-Compilation
Functions") has this text

        "Native-Compilation is implemented as a side effect of
        byte-compilation"

In any case maybe I should file a bug? because this the behaviour I
reported doesn't meet the expectations. In a fresh emacs -Q: the
following 3 forms all load a fib.elc file from the current directory
(say "/dev/shm") without producing an eln file. ("doesn't work")

(byte-compile-file "fib.el" t)  ; doesn't work
(load-file "fib.elc")           ; doesn't work
(load "/dev/shm/fib.elc" nil nil t) ; doesn't work

The only form which works seems to be when load is called with a full
pathname after omitting the ".el" or ".elc" suffix provided there is an
elc at that location.
i.e.
(load "/dev/shm/fib")

only this form produces an eln file in the user's eln-cache directory.