Re: Native compilation by default?: Was [Re: stats say SBCL is 78 875 %

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Native compilation by default?: Was [Re: stats say SBCL is 78 875 % faster than natively compiled Elisp
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 20:57:43 +0100

>>> Is my understanding of the documentation - that native
>>> compilation is an automatic side effect of byte
>>> compiling, wrong?
>>
>> Yes, it's wrong. Native compilation happens automatically
>> when you _load_ a .elc file, not when you compile it.
>
> It doesn't happen when you byte-compile but it also don't
> happen when you load it, or that depends what you mean
> by "load"ing.

Here it says:

  Native-Compilation is implemented as a side effect of
  byte-compilation (see Byte Compilation). Thus, compiling
  Lisp code natively always produces its byte code as well,
  and therefore all the rules and caveats of preparing Lisp
  code for byte compilation (see Byte-Compilation Functions)
  are valid for native-compilation as well. [1]

Maybe it's the source of some of the above confusion regarding
byte-compilation in particular?

[1]
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Native_002dCompilation-Functions.html

--