Re: hook run just in message-mode just before user begins composing/repl

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: Re: hook run just in message-mode just before user begins composing/replying?
Date: Tue, 09 May 2023 16:03:18 +0200

Hi Tim, Manuel,
* Tim Landscheidt <tim@tim-landscheidt.de> [2023-05-09; 13:20 GMT]:
> Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> wrote:
>> I wrote two functions which, manually called in a
>> buffer just set up by message-mode for me to start
>> typing my message/reply, manipulate the headers of said
>> message.
>
>> ATM I call them in message-send-hook but then I do not
>> see the result of the manipulations and sometimes I would
>> like to adjust headers after these functions run.
>
>> I did not find a hook for this purpose.  I experimented
>> with message-signature-setup-hook but then one function
>> mangles the headers, the other function does nothing,
>> indicating that the headers are not setup or not
>> accessible as at the moment the user (I) starts to
>> type.
>
>> Any ideas how to solve this puzzle?
>
> There are also (in Emacs 28.2) message-header-setup-hook and
> message-setup-hook that look promising.  Do they work for
> you?

sadly no.  These are the hooks I already tested (should
have be more specific in my original post).  Somehow
the functions don't work there.  The more basic one
simply does nothing, the other one mangles the headers
which it does not, if called manually in the
"*unsent mail to..." buffer.

Any ideas how to actually see the buffer when the hooks
are run?  Then I could adjust my functions or decide
that it's simply the wrong hook.

A message-just-before-user-is-allowed-to-type-hook
would be great...

Thanks for your attention, Gregor