Re: hook run just in message-mode just before user begins composing/repl

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: Re: hook run just in message-mode just before user begins composing/replying?
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 10:43:12 +0200

* Tim Landscheidt <tim@tim-landscheidt.de> [2023-05-09; 18:30 GMT]:
> You should be able to use Edebug to step through your func-
> tion (with edebug-defun), but looking at the big picture I
> typically just add calls à la:
>
> | (message "buffer = %S" (buffer-name))
>
> or:
>
> | (message "bufferstring = %S" (buffer-string))
>
> to my code.

this did the trick.  Thanks so much.

Now I learned, that message-header-setup-hook is the
right one.  My function failed, because the headers at
the time of calling that hook are actually arranged in
a different order, than shown in the final version of
the buffer which the user is proposed to edit.

While it works now as I hoped for, there is a flicker.
Now I have to learn how to disable display update while
my functions are evaluated...