Re: org-mode for package documentation

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: org-mode for package documentation
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 07:54:20 +0000

Payas Relekar <relekarpayas@gmail.com> writes:

> IIRC, Richard Stallman said he'd be amenable to it, _provided that_ Org
> fulfilled all the requisite functionality from Texinfo.

Correct. We need to add more flexible markup. The idea was to add
something similar to special blocks, but inline. Currently, ox-texinfo
is approaching the extended markup with macros. See doc/doc-setup.org.

> Ihor (org maintainer) was also receptive, but I don't remember if/how
> much progress happened towards the goal.

We discussed possible syntax of inline custom markup to be added. See
https://orgmode.org/list/87bkqx4jyg.fsf@localhost Someone is to go ahead
and try to implement it. It might be me in future, but I am prioritizing
working on some other new features in Org for now.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,