Re: making an emacs-29 tarball for testing latest changes on the branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: making an emacs-29 tarball for testing latest changes on the branch
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 14:16:19 +0300

> From: Andrés Ramírez <rrandresf@hotmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 10:35:30 +0000
>
> $ ./make-dist --snapshot --no-compress --no-changelog
> Version number is 29.0.91
> Sanity checking (use --no-check to disable this)...
> The following .el files have no corresponding .elc files:
> lisp/emacs-lisp/comp.el lisp/emacs-lisp/comp-cstr.el
> Failed checks
> $ ./make-dist --snapshot --no-compress --no-changelog --no-check
> Version number is 29.0.91
> Creating staging directory: 'make-dist.tmp.41366'
> ./make-dist: line 397: make-dist.tmp.41366/MANIFEST: No such file or directory
> $ ./make-dist --snapshot --no-compress --no-changelog --no-check
> Version number is 29.0.91
> Creating staging directory: 'make-dist.tmp.41922'
> Creating top directory: 'make-dist.tmp.41922/emacs-29.0.91'
> Creating subdirectories
> mkdir: missing operand
> Try 'mkdir --help' for more information.
> Cleaning up the staging directory
> $
>
> when
> ,---- [  ]
> | ./make-dist: line 397: make-dist.tmp.41366/MANIFEST: No such file or
> directory
> `----
>
> I did touch MANIFEST
>
> Then I got the last error message.
>
> What I am missing for making the tarball?

You are missing the detailed instructions in admin/make-tarball.txt.
(Those instructions are for those who actually prepare the
pretest/release tarballs, so they include stuff you don't need for
your case, but knowing which parts are needed and which aren't isn't
trivial.)

In your case, this part is relevant:

    For Emacs 28 and later, as long as --with-native-compilation is
    not the default, the tree needs to be configured with
    native-compilation enabled, to ensure all the pertinent *.elc
    files will end up in the tarball.  Otherwise, the *.eln files
    might not build correctly on the user's system.

      ./autogen.sh
      ./configure --with-native-compilation && make

The MANIFEST thing is because this script is supposed to be run from a
Git repository, and you didn't.

There are other issues with what you are trying to do, for example
version 29.0.91 is incorrect (that's the version of the last pretest,
not of the Emacs you are building).

Bottom line: you are doing something users aren't supposed to do
without knowing very well what they are doing and how to do it.  So
don't be surprised you face an uphill battle...