Re: Compiling emacs 30.0.50 on Fedora 38 with tree-sitter

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Compiling emacs 30.0.50 on Fedora 38 with tree-sitter
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2023 22:04:27 +0200

Frederick Bartlett wrote:

> This is the first time I’ve ever compiled emacs; I was following Mickey
> Petersen’s guide at
> https://www.masteringemacs.org/article/how-to-get-started-tree-sitter
>
> Running configure --with-tree-sitter produced an error: the system couldn’t
> find the tree-sitter pkgconfig file.
>
> Not quite understanding the problem, I simply copied tree-sitter.pc from
> $PKG_CONFIG_PATH/pkgconfig/tree-sitter to $PKG_CONFIG_PATH – and then it
> worked.
>
> Was I lucky, or is this what one is expected to do?

Well, obviously it is a path error/file organization mismatch
but I wonder, is this the kind of situations that has led to
the strange belief "if you upgrade Emacs you will brake
packages"?

Because if so one, it isn't true, and two, it is even unfair
to the package managers whoever they may be because from their
perspective it's assumed paths are correct.

Speaking even more broadly it is strange that you can't
compile Emacs because of other source that isn't even compiled
in the same process necessarily.

However if we return to reality it isn't a problem since
compiling Emacs don't break anything.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal