Re: can vertico approximate this ido setup?

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: can vertico approximate this ido setup?
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 18:05:38 -0700

more below.

On 6/5/23, Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:
>> i think ido-clever-match got that right:
>> https://github.com/Bogdanp/ido-clever-match .  it is almost perfect.

i really do mean that :).  it matches well ime.

> You might want to play around with flex-score-match-tightness for the
> flex style,

will do.

>> btw i have trouble understanding the emacs manual on completion.  the
>> completion styles don't make sense to me whent they talk about text
>> after point.  idk what i am missing there.
>
> Do emacs -Q (and probably set one completion-style at a time), enter
> something and move point forward again.  At least some styles seem to
> ignore text after point or at least handle it differently.

move point forward /again/?  it doesn't seem to go back.

>> here is a big long quote from ido-clever-match exactly what it does.
>> i wonder if vertico/orderless can do it similarly?
>
> Vertico doesn't come into play here and I don't know orderless well
> enough.  I think it's similar to partial-completion where the order of
> words doesn't matter.

my limited understanding is that vertico does come into play if i want
something like ido-clever-match.  i thought orderless, for example,
leaves sorting to vertico.  but maybe i am confusing sorting with
matching or something similar.

>>> Also, I have the experience that some completion styles work great for
>>> one kind/category of completion but not for others, so I use
>>> completion-category-overrides.

another thing i will keep in mind.

> I think, it does.  One thing to note is that with completion-styles (a b
> c) is that b won't kick in as long as a delivers matches and c won't
> kick in as long as b finds matches.

aha.