Re: Format of lists and alists required for displaying lists of tabulate

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Format of lists and alists required for displaying lists of tabulated data
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 18:31:10 +0300

* uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> [2023-06-17 16:28]:
> It would also be handy to have some conversion functions that takes a normal
> list or alist, and converts them to ones suitable for tabulated-list-entries.

Those functions would be too much specific, and you can do those functions.

I have functions like these which are using SQL which get expanded into
tabulated-list-mode:

(rcd-db-sql-report title sql cf-people-tabulated-format-with-people-list
"people" nil refresh-function '(">>>UNKNOWN<<<") return-function)

Or like this: (cf-people-by-id-list (list introducer)) which would show
tabulated-list-format by list of people IDs

My SQL has always ID followed by values, so here is the key function that
converts it:

(defun rcd-db-sql-report (title sql format table sort-key refresh &optional
highlight-list return-function)
  "Prepare SQL for tabulated list report."
  (let* ((entries-1 (rcd-sql sql cf-db))
         (entries-2
          (mapcar #'(lambda (i)
                      (list
                       (elt i 0)
                       (vconcat
                        (append (list
                                 (cond ((numberp (elt i 0)) (number-to-string
(elt i 0)))
                                       (t (elt i 0))))
                                (cdr (append i nil))))))
                  entries-1)))
    (cond (entries-1 (rcd-db-report title entries-2 format "pg" 'cf-db table
sort-key refresh highlight-list nil nil return-function))
          (t (rcd-warning-message (format "No entries for report `%s'"
title))))))

(defun rcd-db-report (title entries format database-type db-handle table
sort-key
                            &optional refresh highlight-list place id
return-function)
  "RCD database report.

TITLE is buffer name."
  (setq rcd-db-current-database-type database-type)
  (let* ((buffer (generate-new-buffer-name (rcd-notes-name title))))
    (let* ((buffer (get-buffer-create buffer))
           (mode-map (rcd-db-table-mode-map table)))
      (cond ((string-equal table "edit") (switch-to-buffer buffer))
            (rcd-dont-switch-windows (switch-to-buffer buffer))
            (t (switch-to-buffer-other-window buffer)))
      (setq tabulated-list-format format)
      (setq tabulated-list-entries entries)
      (setq rcd-db-edited-table table)
      (setq rcd-db-current-database-type database-type)
      (setq rcd-tabulated-refresh-function refresh)
      (setq rcd-current-return-function return-function)
      (rcd-db-list-mode)
      (use-local-map mode-map)
      (setq rcd-tabulated-marked-items nil)
      (setq rcd-db-current-database-handle db-handle)
      (setq rcd-db-current-table (or (alist-get "table" place nil nil 'equal)
table))
      (setq rcd-db-current-table-id id)
      (setq tabulated-list-padding 1)
      (tabulated-list-init-header))
    (setq tabulated-list-sort-key sort-key)
    (tabulated-list-print t)
    (when highlight-list
      (rcd-highlight-list highlight-list))))

The above workflow shall serve only as example to your own functions.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman